Magic is contributed to the Tines of the Scar to unlock dragons on the Rift Island. The form of the first Rift Dragon released depended on which element (light or dark) the player casts the magic into during the Light Magic and Dark Magic events.
The amount of magic received for an action decreases as the action is repeated within the same day.
A player can earn up to approximately 3000 magic in a 24 hour period; the amount of time left before that resets can be seen at the Tines of the Scar.
Up to 7,000 magic can be stored at a time.
Backflip Studios posted on their DragonVale Facebook page that "the communities effort toward either Light or Dark will become visible on the Tines of the Scar as more and more people contribute. How long this takes to visibly show is up to the community."
What is Magic?
The magic meter can reach 7,000 before it stops storing and some of the magic has to be used to accumulate more magic.
Stored magic can be cast as light magic or dark magic.
Magic can be purchased for:
- On November 1, 2013 the "Trade Magic" option in the market changed to no longer be specific for light or dark.
Obtaining Free Magic
- Collecting gems from the gemstone dragons when treasure chest is displayed
- Collecting dragoncash from the habitats when treasure chest is displayed
- Breeding dragons and moving them to the Nursery
- Hatching eggs
- Selling eggs
- Harvesting treats
- Feeding dragons
- Competing at the Colosseum
- Racing at the Dragon Track
- Gifting friends
- Clearing obstacles
- Visiting friends' parks and collecting party hats
- Buying decorations
- Purchasing an item using gems
- Buying habitats
- Completing quests
- Spending gems to speed up tasks
- Upgrading buildings with gems
- Buying buildings
For most activities which earn magic, the amount of magic received will decrease by half as the activity is repeated within a period of 24 hours.
These amounts reset every 24 hours when the magic in the park resets.
- Buying decorations, habitats, and buildings are tracked together and will affect the sequence of magic earned.
- 2.0 Tutorial - Part One.PNG
- 2.0 Tutorial - Part Two.PNG
- 2.0 Tutorial - Part Three.PNG
- 2.0 Tutorial - Part Five.PNG
- 2.0 Tutorial - Part Six.PNG
- 2.0 Tutorial - Part Seven.PNG
- 2.0 Tutorial - Part Eight.PNG
- 2.0 Tutorial - Part Nine.PNG
- 2.0 Tutorial - Part Ten.PNG
- 2.0 Tutorial - Part Eleven.PNG
- 2.0 Tutorial - Part Twelve.PNG
Update 2.0 started with a tutorial explaining how magic works.
The process of this tutorial can be viewed in the gallery to the right.
The tutorial takes a few minutes to complete from beginning to end.
- Market Magic 1.PNG
- Market Magic 2.PNG
- Magic was introduced to DragonVale on October 9, 2013.
- On October 10, 2013, the maximum storage limit for magic increased from 1,000 magic to 1,500 magic.
- On October 25, 2013, the maximum storage limit for magic increased from 1,500 magic to 3,000 magic.
- On November 7, 2013 the maximum storage limit for magic increased from 3,000 magic to 5,000 magic.
- On November 8, 2013 the maximum storage limit for magic increased from 5,000 magic to 7,000 magic.
- On October 25, 2013, the maximum limit to cast Magic increased from 3,000 to 4,000.
- On November 7, 2013, the maximum limit to cast magic increased from 4,000 to 30,000.
- During each 24 hour period of the event before magic resets it is possible to trade five gems for 30 light magic, and five gems for 30 dark magic.
- The amount of magic which can be purchased from the market will only be available if there is space for the amount in the magic meter.
- Example: The option for 1,000 magic is only available if there is 2,000 magic or less in the meter when looking in the market.
- Magic resets at 00:00:00 (UTC) each day during the Light and the Dark Magic Event.
- The reset time was changed on November 1, 2013. This may be true only for the "Double Magic Weekend" promotion.
- On October 26, 2013, Backflip Studios made it possible to collect twice the amount of magic from completing some tasks in the Light and Dark events and doubled the daily capacity of magic. This is a "weekend only" promotion.
- As of November 15, 2013, magic could no longer be collected from any park activity.
- The magic Storage Meter was removed.